A. JR. HIGH ACADEMIC REGULATIONS
1. A student enrolling in the seventh grade for the first time will be eligible for participation in the first grading period regardless of previous academic achievement.
2. Starting with the first grading period and thereafter a 7th/8th grade student must be currently enrolled and have been enrolled in the preceding grading period and received passing grades during that grading period in a minimum of five (5) of those subjects in which the student received grades. (O.H.S.A.A. Policy)
3. The student must achieve a 1.50 G. P. A. or higher from the preceding grading period to be eligible. (Lake B.O.E. Policy)
4. Any student receiving an “I” or “incomplete” would have the “I” averaged as an “F” in determining eligibility.
B. HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMIC REGULATIONS
1. A student enrolling in the ninth grade for the first time must achieve a 1.50 G. P. A. or higher from the final grading period of their eighth grade year and received passing grades in a minimum of five (5) of those subjects in which the student received grades. to be eligible for athletic competition. (Lake B.O.E./O.H.S.A.A. Policy)
2. In order to be eligible in grades 9-12, a student must be currently enrolled and must have been enrolled in a minimum of five (1) credit courses the preceding grading period. During the preceding grading period, the student must have received passing grades in a minimum of five one-credit courses; physical education does not count as one of the one-credit courses. (O.H.S.A.A. Policy)
3. Post Secondary Option (PSO) students are still required to be enrolled & passing the equivalent of five (1) credit courses in the college/university they attend to be eligible for athletic participation.
4. The student must achieve a 1.50 G. P. A. or higher from the preceding grading period to be eligible. (Lake B.O.E. Policy)
5. Any student receiving an “I” or “incomplete” would have the “I” averaged as an “F” in determining eligibility. Make-up work to change a grade does not change the eligibility of an athlete, unless it is determined that the incomplete was the result of a long-term hospitalization or illness. A physician’s note may be required.
C. ADDITIONAL ACADEMIC REGULATIONS
The eligibility of a student continues until the start of the fifth (5th) school day of the next grading period, at which time the grades from the immediately preceding grading period become effective.
EXCEPTION: A student coming off the “ineligible status” may become eligible 24 hours after the mandatory grade reporting date (a date established by Board policy which cannot be the same day as the end of the grading period) established by the Board of Education
EXCEPTION: Eligibility or ineligibility of athletes for the first grading period begins with the start of the fall sports season.
An athlete may be permitted to try out for any sport or activity in which the number of participants is restricted by team selection. An athlete can practice with a team or group, during their ineligibility period.
However, a student cannot participate in any athletic contest, scrimmage, or in exhibition situations during the period of ineligibility. (O.H.S.A.A. Policy) A student who becomes ineligible in mid-season of a sport or activity can continue to practice with a team or group.
D. ACADEMIC PROBATIONARY PERIOD
If a student falls below a 1.50 G.P.A. at the end of a grading period, but meets the O.H.S.A.A. standards on the number of passing grades, they may become eligible at the mid-term grading period, if they achieve a 1.50 GPA on their ‘Midterm Progress Report’.
E. AGE & SEMESTER REGULATIONS
1. Middle School: If a student enrolled in grade 7 or 8 attains the age of (15) before August 1st, the student shall be ineligible to participate in middle school athletics for the commencing school year. However the student would be eligible to participate in high school athletics for a period not to exceed (8) semesters, taken in order of attendance, whether the student participates or not.
2. High School: If a student enrolled in high school attains the age of (19) before August 1st, the student shall be ineligible to participate in high school athletics for the commencing school year.
F. NON-SCHOLASTIC PARTICIPATION
A student cannot be a member of a non-scholastic team and a member of an O.H.S.A.A. recognized sport team, sponsored by the B.O.E. of the same sport, during the same season. Other rules governed by the O.H.S.A.A. apply to this participation. It is best advised to check with the athletic department or view online at ohsaa.org.
G. TRANSFERS/OPEN ENROLLMENT
There are many rules governed by the O.H.S.A.A. that apply to this area. It is best advised to check with the athletic department or view online at ohsaa.org.