October 22, 2020
Lake Community —
There are several items that our administration believes are important to share with you:
- Next Monday, October 26 is a scheduled Virtual Day. Your student(s) should know what to expect in terms of time, participation, and expectations on that day.
- Virtual Days will also be held on Monday, November 23 and Tuesday, November 24. Those days lead us into Thanksgiving break and we believe it is prudent to allow students to have some distance away from others before they could possibly be spending time with family and friends over the holidays, particularly grandparents who may be more susceptible to the virus. Please mark your calendars accordingly.
- Our staff has fielded several questions from concerned parents in the last week or so about our protocols for quarantining and isolating students and staff. The first item of business when we are notified of a positive case is to contact the Wood County Health Department. A health department official walks us through the entire process in every case. The people at the health department are the experts and we follow their orders without any deviation. They always tell us to isolate those students and staff members who have been in contact with the affected person before we do anything else. That prevents us from notifying parents in some instances before they receive a text or call from their student. I apologize to those of you who believe we should call parents first. Again, we are following the directives of the public health experts.
- If you have covid related questions, we encourage you to call the Ohio Department of Health call center at 1-833-4-ASK-ODH (1-833-427-5634).
- We also encourage you to call one of the buildings, the board office, or send an email to one of us if you have any questions. If you read something on social media other than the school run sites please verify with us before believing any information. There is a large quantity of misinformation out there according to what has been shared with me.
- Please keep in mind that our organization is required to comply with federal and state laws regarding student rights to privacy as well as staff rights to privacy. There is a certain level of information that we cannot share with our general public. We hope you understand our limitations.
A couple of non-related covid issues:
- Congratulations to our Varsity Volleyball team who won the Northern Buckeye Conference championship. It is the first league title a volleyball team has won here in 44 years. Congratulations to Coach Vorst and an outstanding group of young ladies.
- And finally, a shout out to our students for the overall incredible way they have acted and conducted themselves since the beginning of the school year. We have had minimal problems with masks, our discipline referrals are down, and our attendance is better than it has been in many years. They have been absolutely terrific!
Thank you for your continued patience and flexibility.